Merit Filter Corporation Sludge Thickening Device™
A Practical Solution for Sludge Thickening and Removal of Excess Liquid
MERIT FILTER CORPORATION SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ is the most practical method of thickening virtually all biological and industrial waste sludges. The SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ has no direct power requirements. Thickening can be accomplished, in most cases, without the use of coagulants or inorganic additives, such as alum.
The MERIT FILTER CORPORATION SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ works by taking advantage of the laws of nature and physics. Dilute sludges, when not being aerated, or stirred, will settle. This settling will result in separate layers of sludge and supernatant. This separation, or stratification, will result in the heavier layers of sludge sinking to the bottom of your tank, while the lighter layers, or supernatant, will rise to the top.
The MERIT FILTER CORPORATION SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ enables the plant operator to easily remove the layer, or layers, of supernatant while leaving a thickened sludge behind. The removal of the supernatant is accomplished by the Sludge Thickening Devices ability to allow draw-off of the supernatant, by providing an area of reduced head, in the device’s well, while retaining the sludge on the outside of the device.
The MERIT FILTER CORPORATION SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ can be installed in existing sludge holding tanks, aeration basins, or incorporated into new sludge holding/aeration basins.
The SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ can thicken digested sludge one day and primary sludge the next and a chemically treated sludge another.
The MERIT FILTER CORPORATION SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ is durable and practically maintenance free. It is constructed entirely of Type 304 stainless steel and has no moving parts. It is typically operated without the use of expensive chemicals and requires no direct supervision.
PRINCIPAL OF NATURE AT WORK FOR YOU
By allowing biological or industrial sludges to settle, specific gravity causes the components to separate. Floatables and supernatant rise to the top while the heavier solids sink to the tank floor. Some sludges will form a natural floc and while settling downward will form layers of sludge and supernatant, into bands with differing specific gravities. The SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ has the ability to remove the supernatant while retaining the sludge in your tank.
MUNICIPAL TREATMENT APPLICATIONS
- Thicken all types of dilute sludges, with or without the use of chemical coagulants or inorganic additives prior to dewatering, land application or liquid hauling.
- Increase digester capacity by thickening dilute clarifier sludge prior to digestion, either aerobic or anaerobic.
- Thicken water treatment plant sludges from backwash operations and settling basins prior to dewatering, land application or liquid hauling.
- Use an aerobic digester to serve as a thickening tank by placing a MERIT FILTER CORPORATION SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ right in the digester unit, the SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ is isolated during the digestion phase by using a “screen shield”.
INDUSTRIAL TREATMENT APPLICATIONS
- Any industrial sludge showing a tendency to settle, with or without the use of chemical coagulants or inorganic additives prior to dewatering or liquid hauling to a dewatering site.
- Use the same tank for formation and thickening of sludge where the process produces sludge via precipitation.
*The performance figures in the above table are for general information purposes only. Because each sludge is different in nature and has its own characteristics, including initial solids concentration, final solids and volumetric reduction can vary from those shown above. Contact Merit Filter Corporation for specific design data and anticipated performance characteristics.
The performance figure above illustrate typical average operating results from installations utilizing the MERIT FILTER CORPORATION SLUDGE THICKENING DEVICE™ and from pilot demonstration experience.